August 2nd, 2016
Breathtaking (and waistline extending)- that’s my Hong Kong experience in a nutshell. Jetting off to Hong Kong in such short notice was probably the closest that I’ll ever get to the “just pack your bags and go” mentality- no prior prepping for the trip- experiencing things as they come with a clean slate of mind. To say the least, Hong Kong was beyond anything I have ever imagined it to be! Get hyped and excite, because here is my Postcard From Hong Kong, aka the super dense city!
When do you get the most excited about a new place? I always appreciate those bus or train rides to the city from airport. The first impression is the best impression, right? So going back to that very moment- me on the train with my boyfriend… We suddenly stopped our conversation because what was out there was something rather jaw-dropping; a city that is so densely populated is rising above and above before our own eyes- my mind was absolutely blown away! That has to be the moment that I completely forgot about the 15+ hours flight and the jet lag that was about to hit me hard. Or was it the moment that our room was looking over the Victoria Harbour like NBD? Not sure, but that’s because there were so many times that I was completely blown away by the beauty and the one of kindness of Hong Kong!
– Visit Victoria Peak! I’m never too keen on over doing the”touristy stuff” but if there’s a good view-
I’ll be there! Getting to the peak was blood, sweat and tears but it was all worth it. Looking over the city from the peak was absolutely beautiful and it was a sight that it’s now forever engraved on my mind!
– Visit Wong Tai Sin Temple– a soothing and calming break from the chaos of the city.
The smoke and the smell of all the incense adds to the magical atmosphere of the temple!
– Take the Star Ferry! The most fun and scenic way to cross between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon.
For the extra charm, I would definitely recommend taking the ride at night- the skyline of Hong Kong Island is something to be seen from the ferry, trust me!
– Get lost in Mong Kok! Mong Kok quickly become one of my favourite areas in Hong Kong. If I were to pick one area to summarise Hong Kong it would definitely be Mong Kok- there is so much going on around you, so much all at once but in different layers… The markets, the food… just the local life!
If you end up in Mong Kok, make sure to check out the specialised markets:
Fa Yuen Street Market, Flower Market, Bird Market, Goldfish Market, Ladies (night) Market.
– Shopping till you drop! Hong Kong is all about the shopping and I don’t mean it lightly- it’s intense,
it’s overwhelming, it’s just everything you want and more! Let’s just say I had to buy an extra suitcase!
On part 2 I will be sharing all the hottest addresses to get your Asian beauty fix- keep your eyes peeled!
But until then, Harbour City is the only address you need to know- because when you’re done there,
you’ll be done for the rest of your trip too!
So did I convince you to add Hong Kong to your wanderlust list? What do you think of my Part 1 of Postcard From Hong Kong? Also, I would love to know from you beauty lovers there, would you be interested in a Hong Kong beauty haul? Let me know what you think below, and keep your eyes peeled for Part 2!